Every 80 to 100 years or so, Israel has a major earthquake. You haven’t heard of this? That’s because it’s been almost 100 years since the last major quake rocked the area. Israelis know the earthquake pattern, and they know that they are due. The coming major earthquake is predicted by earth scientists to be a big one.
“Israel’s last major earthquake rattled the region in 1927… It was a 6.2-magnitude tremor that killed 500 and injured another 700” reports the Times of Israel. Before that, “an earthquake in 1837 left as many as 5,000 people dead.”
This last Week
This last week five earthquakes rolled through Israel in five days. “A small earthquake shook the Sea of Galilee area on Tuesday morning, the fifth such tremor in less than a week,” noted the Times. “The quake, measuring 3.3 on the Richter scale, caused no reported damage or injuries.”
“On Sunday, two minor earthquakes, both measuring 3.6 in intensity, were reported in the north, which followed similar quakes on Thursday and Saturday,” the Times noted. “No injuries have been reported, although some buildings in Tiberias were lightly damaged by the tremors. …In response to the string of temblors, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened a special cabinet meeting Monday to discuss the state’s earthquake preparedness, and, on Sunday, the Home Front Command and emergency services representatives held a meeting to discuss emergency procedures in the case of a more major earthquake.”
Those who know Bible prophecy know that both Old and New Testament Scriptures describe major earthquakes occurring in Israel in the last days:
- “It will come about on that day when Gog comes against the land of Israel,” declares the Lord God, “that My fury will mount up in My anger. In My zeal and in My blazing wrath, I declare that on that day there will surely be a great earthquake in the land of Israel. The fish of the sea, the birds of the heavens, the beasts of the field, all the creeping things that creep on the earth, and all the men who are on the face of the earth will shake at My presence; the mountains also will be thrown down, the steep pathways will collapse, and every wall will fall to the ground.” (Ezekiel 38:18-20)
- “I looked when He broke the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake and the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became like blood, and the stars of the sky fell to earth, as a fig tree casts its unripe figs when shaken by a great wind.” (Revelation 6:12-13)
- “Then the seventh angel poured out his bowl upon the air, and a loud voice came out of the temple from the throne saying, ‘It is done.’ And there were flashes of lightning and sounds and peals of thunder; and there was a great earthquake, such as there had not been since man came upon the earth, so great an earthquake was it, and so mighty. The great city [Jerusalem] was split into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell….” (Revelation 16:17-19)
These scriptures are referring to a huge earthquake, “such as there had not been since man came upon the earth” at the end of the age. I don’t think that we find ourselves at that point just yet. But we must try to understand the importance of the times in which we live, asking, “so what do these earthquakes mean?”
For starters, there have been five. Five is God’s number of grace. I believe that God is saying that He is going to shake the Earth, and the region, but He is speaking Grace to Israel, even through the shaking.
Second, it’s a call for the peoples of the world to look up and pay attention. Everyone “who has ears to hear” should:
· be concerned for Israel as we move into the end times,
· should pray for Israel and the peace of Jerusalem, and
· prepare for tumultuous times to come.
When I asked what these particular earthquakes meant, God told me that these “are part of the overture”. Immediately I knew what He meant. When a major stage production is about to begin, it starts with an overture – a sign that everyone should take their seats because the “main event” is starting very soon. Nothing really is happening during the overture, if you’re looking for dramatic action, but the overture itself is made up of a handful of themes which are like clues, or introductions to what is coming. The overture contains an energetic mix of parts and pieces of what is to come – snatches of different themes which will shortly become more important as the dramatic events unfold on stage.
These earthquakes in Israel are part of God’s overture to the big show coming at the end of the age. We see many things happening worldwide that are making people wonder: “Are we in the end-times?” I would say, take your place, and be sure that you are securely strapped into His Grace – because the main event is soon to begin!
As Jesus said: “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains” Mark 13:8. As Jesus told us two thousand years ago: these earthquakes, and many other current world events, are showing us that we are now poised at the very beginning of the cataclysmic drama that will bring us to the end of the age… and usher in the second coming of Christ to establish His Kingdom! I hear the overture starting!
- Fifth quake in six days rattles north (timesofisrael.com)
- Experts Warn: Major Earthquake Could Hit Israel Any Time (jewishpress.com)