What Is Prophetic Prayer?
To prophesy means to hear from God, and then to speak or act on God’s behalf. When we pray prophetically, we lay down our own imaginations, desires and burdens and depend on Him to show us what is on His agenda. He reveals to us what He would have us to pray. In order to pray this way we must posture ourselves to hear from Him.
Prophetic prayer is one of the session structures that can be used powerfully in the House of Prayer. The practice of Prophetic Prayer is foundational to Strategic Intercession. This is a beautiful practice to bring into your own prayer time, but it becomes an amazing and dynamic source of direction and revelation when practiced in a group.
Foundations for Prophetic Prayer
1. Jesus taught that all God’s people can hear his voice
- 2 ” but he that enters in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
- 3 to him the porter opens; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calls his own sheep by name, and leads them out.
- 4 and when he puts forth his own sheep, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
- 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.”
2. We are urged in scripture to pursue spiritual gifts, especially the prophetic.
1 Corinthians 14:1
1 ” Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.”
3. When we pray prophetically we will learn and be exhorted.
1 Corinthians 14:31
31 “For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted.”
A Prayer to Begin
Lord, in Jesus’ name I believe that I am a child of God and that I have the ability to hear your voice. I earnestly desire to prophesy and believe that I am able in Christ to do all things. I ask in bold faith for accuracy and ease in receiving and releasing your word and prophetic insights in intercession. Thank you Lord.
Some Of The Ways The Holy Spirit Speaks To Us:
1. Through Scriptures and Songs
2. In a Still, Small Voice
3. Through Impressions in the Mind, simple thoughts
4. In Visions and Dreams
5. By Words and Symbols
Preparation For Prophetic Intercession
- Ask the Holy Spirit to convict you of any unconfessed sins. (Unconfessed sin can often block our ability to hear from God and also hinder answers to our prayers. Ps. 66:18)
- Choose to lay aside any personal prayer burdens or desires.
- In Jesus’ name bind the influence of any vain imaginations.
- In Jesus’ name bind the influence of any demonic assignment that would try to interfere with you hearing accurately from the Lord.
- Invite the Holy Spirit to fill you afresh with His presence and wisdom.
- Thank the Lord ahead of time for what you are going to receive and wait in silent expectation for Him to speak.
Five Steps for Prophetic Intercession
Worship is an excellent way to start. In worship we can focus on God, magnifying His Name, and giving everything over to Him. During worship it is a good time to go through the steps and prepare your heart before Him.
About five minutes or so will be given for intercessors to wait on the Lord to hear from Him. In this particular segment of prayer, we are reaching out in faith to hear from His heart concerning prayers He would have us to make for the specific focus of our prayer.
During the five-minute period take notes on everything that you receive (mental impressions, scriptures, visions, revelations etc). Even if you do not feel what you are receiving is significant, still write it down. Sometimes we have found that what appears to be an insignificant contribution by one person ends up being a key piece to the whole. Do not be discouraged if you do not receive anything. You can still pray out what the rest of the team receives.
After the five minute waiting time, there will be time allotted for people to share what they have received. The leader will have someone scribe everything. After everyone has shared what they have received, the leader will begin to lead the group into prayer to cover the things that were shared. If the group is large, it is sometimes helpful to divide the group into two or three teams to help with time.
Spontaneously, intercessors will begin to pray through with faith and fervency the things that were received during the waiting time. The leader will direct the flow so that everything gets prayed through. There will not be a leading on into the next prayer item until the current item is prayed through. The leader will then identify what is to be prayed through next and invite spontaneous, faith-filled prayer.
THANKSGIVING AND WORSHIP
The session ends with a time of spontaneous thanksgiving for what the Lord has accomplished through the prayers.
It is a privilege to take up the very mind of God in prayer. God will show you many things through Prophetic Prayer that you did not know to pray by yourself. Prophetic Prayer allows the Holy Spirit to lead in prayer in a very real and vibrant way. You will be amazed at what God shows a group during Prophetic Prayer.
- A Vision of The End Time Harvest (jscotthusted.wordpress.com)
- Vision and Mission: My Calling (jscotthusted.wordpress.com)