The Fukushima plant has been nominally maintained for the past year, all the while leaking dangerous levels of nuclear radiation and radioactive materials into the sea, the air and soil. Christians should be aware, Christians should be concerned, and we should PRAY!
“The limit (of radioactive cesium) was exceeded in 337 cases, or 2.4 percent of 13,867 food samples examined by the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry.” The ongoing spread of radioactive material is impacting the food supply in Japan – illustrating the growing nuclear threat that the crippled Fukushima plant still poses, more than a year after the devastating earthquake and tsunami.
Meanwhile, for a year the crippled plant has been leaking radioactive elements into the air and sea that have resulted in a plume of radioactivity that stretches across the Pacific Ocean – affecting all of the nations around the Pacific Rim.
Chart courtesy the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Coalition Sends Urgent Request for UN Intervention
Because of this, a coalition of Japanese groups have banded together and sent an urgent message to the Japanese government and the UN, asking for international cooperation – and immediate action — on a cleanup at the stricken Fukushima power plant.
The Japan Times reports: “Seventy-two Japanese NGO organizations lead by Shut Tomari and Green Action sent an urgent request to the UN and Japanese government urging immediate action to stabilize the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Unit 4 spent nuclear fuel. The letter was endorsed by experts from Japan and abroad.
“The letter warned that the seriously damaged Unit 4 spent nuclear fuel pool contains Cesium-137 (Cs-137) that is equivalent to 10 times the amount released at the time of the Chernobyl nuclear accident. If an earthquake or other event were to cause this pool to drain, this could result in a catastrophic radiological fire.”
The letter stated that the United Nations should establish an independent assessment team on Fukushima Daiichi Unit 4, coordinate international assistance to stabilize the unit’s spent nuclear fuel, and quickly put a plan into action to prevent potentially catastrophic consequences.
The radioactive pollutants currently leaching into the air, soil and the Pacific Ocean already present a growing international threat. The world doesn’t have to wait for another natural disaster to see that this is an important problem that must be solved as quickly as possible.
Kaori Izumi of Shut Tomari stated, “Fukushima Daiichi is no longer a Japanese issue but is an international issue. It is imperative for the Japanese government and the international community to work together on this crisis before it becomes too late.”
Pray for Japan:
- That God will protect the Japanese people, their food sources and their land.
- That the Japanese government will lay aside issues of political embarrassment and work productively with outside agencies and governments willing to help.
- That God will orchestrate conditions to reduce the spread of radioactive contamination, and push through a speedy solution.
Pray for the nations of the world:
- That they would take this ongoing nuclear hazard seriously!
- That they would band together to help Japan enact a solution.
- That God will give success: the nuclear clean–up will be quick and effective.
- Pray for the safety of your country, and the other nations around the Pacific Rim!
- Urgent Request to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- If Fukushima Unit 4 Falls, Hazardous Radioactive Cesium-137 Release Could be Eight Times Worse Than Chernobyl (revolutioninmedia.com)
- Fukushima reactor 4 requires urgent intervention; coalition calls for emergency UN action to halt catastrophic release of radiation (2012indyinfo.com)