On April 15 all of North Korea will celebrate the “Day of the Sun” in honor of Kim Il-Sung’s 100th birthday. To the outside world, the picture will be one of power, prosperity and rocket launches. But outside of the media’s eye the vast majority of North Koreans will continue to quietly suffer extreme poverty and starvation.
For Christians, as the birthday celebration draws near, their fear has increased as their actions are watched closer than ever before. They know that outwardly they must participate in the nationwide celebrations to avoid arrest and torture in horrific prison camps…
North Korea is officially an atheist country. During the last few decades the regime has been brainwashing its citizens to buy into a philosophy-turned-religion called “Juche.” According to Juche, there is no god but Kim Il Sung, the country’s “Eternal President.” This makes North Korea the world’s only country governed by an embalmed dead body. Sung is believed to have been endowed with mystical powers to bless the country.
Juche also attributes divine powers to Sung’s son, Kim Jong Il, and his grandson, Kim Jong Un, the current leader who interprets and represents the religion.
As North Korea celebrates the “Day of the Sun” Open Doors International is sponsoring an international day of prayer for North Korea. Show your solidarity on April 15 by praying for believers in North Korea and taking a day off from food – or perhaps one meal – to remember the suffering of the North Korean people.
The Time to Pray is NOW… Join in… Share with others!
- Pray that North Korea will open up to the gospel.
- Pray that religious freedom and fundamental rights will be implemented in the country.
- Scores of thousands in North Korea starve to death because of poverty. Pray that the food donations the regime receives from other countries will be distributed to the most needy, rather than used to aid its military power.
- Pray that those who are tortured and life-imprisoned for the sake of standing for Christ and sharing their faith, will be freed. As we pray and fast together on April 15 for our brothers and sisters in North Korea, we can again unite in prayer from April 23-29 during North Korea Freedom Week.
- Open Doors Calls for Global Prayer for North Korea on Sunday (faithinspires.wordpress.com)
- Juche (churchofpossibility.com)
- North Korea, missile and nuclear test (danmillerinpanama.wordpress.com)