Our values underpin everything that we do. Whether we know it or not, we carry a basic set of values that give us impetus: they color everything we see; they form the foundation of our opinions; they motivate us to move toward them. They are the underlying desired outcomes. What is your ultimate value? What is your underlying desired outcome? Webster’s Dictionary: “Value: The relative usefulness or importance of something as judged by specific qualities”.
“A quality that gives something special worth” (Webster’s).
This means that values engender:
- Structures of thinking and acting; practices, that give rise to:
- Strategies, systems and specific projects or planned efforts,
…whose objective is to attain or maintain the value.
- Our actions express our values. They form the foundations for:
- Structures of thinking and acting. We build structures that embody our values.
- Strategies are vehicles based on our structures in which our values are moved forward.
We do this whether we know it or not. We build toward our values naturally, without thinking about it. So, what are you building toward? Are your values Kingdom values? Is the ultimate desired outcome intimacy with God, or the establishment of our own little kingdom?
The governments, corporations and institutions of this world also follow this necessary principle of values, structures and strategies:
- Values that the world holds dear, give rise to structures and strategies whose objective is to attain those dearly held values.
- The world intends these to be permanent.
But the values, structures and strategies of the world are actually temporary: Jesus will return and set up His own kingdom which will supersede all of the world’s governments, corporations and institutions.
- The Kingdom of God is the only structure that we know of that will outlast all other structures, institutions and ways of thinking.
- Because we understand this, we as Christians should be building toward something radically different than that which we see around us.
We as Christians have a foundation that is fundamentally different from that of the world: the Kingdom of God!
- We are members of this new Kingdom, and are on the cutting edge of values and practices, strategies and systems that are radically different from the world: they are wholly unique and effective – empowered by the Spirit of God.
- Instead of seeking to build permanent structures for temporary purposes as the world does, are we willing to build temporary structures for eternal purposes?
“Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.” -Jesus
Excerpted from the House of Prayer Training School, taught by J. Scott Husted